Sunday, February 25, 2018

My Favorite Theorem Podcast


Notes from Podcast:

Candice Price: John H Conway's Basic Theorem on Rational Tangles
1 to 1 correspondence between rational numbers and rational tangles
Rational Tangle Dance
Non-rational tangles-prime & locally knotted
DNA topology: DNA is coiled around itself (twisting)
Pair with Neapolitan shake: take 3 flavors mix together -DNA, topology, tangles

Thoughts:

This was the first time I have ever listened to a math teacher podcast and I am very intrigued! I felt my nerd side come out a bit :)

It was great listening to professors discuss tangles like we have been learning about in class. Everything Candice Price discussed regarding the Basic Theorem on Rational Tangles entailed aspects of concepts that we have already discussed in class. Mainly the idea that tangles can be represented by rational numbers and that it is possible to have non-rational tangles. One part of the podcast that really sparked my interest was the discussion of DNA and its' comparison to a tangle. I have read about this a little bit before now, and we have discussed it a bit in class, but it again peaks my interest a bit more. I would love to dive more in to tangles outside what we have seen in class, specifically its relationship to biology or other sciences. I also thought that Candice's pairing of a Neapolitan shake with tangles was very interesting. It made me think of what I may pair tangles with.... the first thing that comes to mind is hair braids. I am constantly braiding my hair, and growing up, I was always looking up new ways to braid and twist my hair. Tangles continue to intrigue me more and more with each lesson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment